Staff members will write stories, edit stories, take photos, layout pages, and perform other assigned tasks for The Pirate Clipper, a newspaper published monthly during the school year. All staff members also are required to sell subscriptions. Students must apply and be selected for a staff position the previous fall.
The Pirate Clipper GOALS:
- Become better communicators through interviewing peers, teachers, administrators, etc.
- Learn to dig for information, analyze that information, and communicate that to an authentic audience
- Further enhance skills of writing and editing stories
- Design pages that adhere to design standards and using industry-standard programs
- Strengthen photography skills
- Sell advertisements and subscriptions in order to stay within budget
Meetings: We meet as a class everyday during 5th hour. This is an academic class, but it requires staying after school at least one day a month (Late Night) in order to meet deadlines before publication.
Participation: Students are highly encouraged to enroll in either Journalism I, Journalism II or Photojournalism before applying to be on staff. Some exceptions are made, but it's up to the teacher's discretion. All grades are welcome to apply to be on staff, as well as enroll in any of the journalism classes.
Activities: Activities include traveling to the fall National High School Journalism Convention, attending J-Day at Mizzou in the spring, and entering numerous contests throughout the year.
Dues: There are no dues to be on staff, but students are required to sell/attempt to sell a certain amount of business ads over the summer to help fund our publication costs.